Dear Field School families,
We hope you had a great weekend! Many thanks to those who participated in our first annual Fox Friendship Fundraiser! There were 1,144 tickets entered into Friday’s drawing–and because of your overwhelming support, we were able to double down and offer multiple winners at both the fourth and fifth grade level for many of the prizes (see below). When Dr. Green was announcing the winners over the loudspeaker before dismissal on Friday afternoon, we could hear the classes cheering from all the way down the hall! It was great to hear the excitement of our Field School friends; thank you for making this such a success.
If you haven’t already, don’t forget to fill out this survey to let us know what kinds of items you are hoping to see in our spring pop-up school spirit store.
It’s another busy week so we encourage you to please read the following announcements (in bold below), along with a few reminders:
- Fox Friendship Fundraiser – Thank You & Winners
- Author/Illustrator Jerry Craft – Visiting Field School on Wednesday!
- WEEFC’s 2023 Fall Fundraiser – Call for Auction Items & Sponsorships
- Weston School Clean-Up Day (Wednesday)
- Jazz Performance for Fourth Grade (Thursday) – Parents Welcome!
- Hope & Comfort Drive – Items Due by Thursday
- Important Dates
- Help for a Weston Family
- Bus Barn Lost & Found – Claim by Friday!
- Weston Fishing Derby (April 23)
- Weston PMC Kids Ride (May 7)
- Support METCO
We look forward to seeing many of you at the exciting presentation from author/illustrator Jerry Craft at Field School on Wednesday (details below). Have a wonderful week, and please don’t hesitate to reach out to us with any questions.
Laura Wilson & Taylor McIntire
Field School PTO Co-Chairs
1. Fox Friendship Fundraiser: Thank you again to everyone who participated and made our Fox Friendship Fundraiser such a success, in support of our fifth grade Celebration Day in June. Fox stickers will come home in student backpacks this week so be on the lookout for those. Of course, ALL Field Schoolers are winners in our book, but we would like to congratulate the following students, whose names were drawn on Friday for the corresponding prizes:
Class Gaga Ball with Dr. Green and Popsicle Party
On behalf of Mrs. Brown’s fourth grade class, John Mackey! 🎉
On behalf of Ms. Marshall’s fourth grade class, Borong Cheng! 🎉
On behalf of Ms. Diorio’s fifth grade class, Leo Rodriguez! 🎉
On behalf of Ms. Desmarais’ fifth grade class, Amelia Gilchrist! 🎉
Cozy Class Day! Pajama Day, Curl Up and Read, and Popcorn Party
On behalf of Ms. Ryan’s fourth grade class, Claire McNally! 🎉
On behalf of Ms. Desmarais’ fifth grade class, Millie Clark! 🎉
Class Scavenger Hunt & Popsicles
On behalf of Mr. Yates’ fourth grade class, Charlotte Farkas! 🎉
On behalf of Mrs. Quezada’s fifth grade class, Akash Tuli! 🎉
Class Art Party with Mr. Ginga
On behalf of Mr. Shilalie’s fifth grade class, Christian Caruso! 🎉
“Make Your Own Graphic Novel” Class Activity (to accompany school-wide Jerry Craft study)
On behalf of Mrs. Quirk’s fourth grade class, Henry Bordeau! 🎉
On behalf of Ms. Triconi’s fifth grade class, Griffin Edwards! 🎉
Maker Space Party with Mr. Q. & Class Homework Pass
On behalf of Ms. Choi’s fourth grade class, Gabby King! 🎉
Class Book Basket (Curated by Your Teacher)
On behalf of Ms. Stranberg’s fourth grade class, Aliya Cook-Cohen! 🎉
On behalf of Mr. Glode’s fifth grade class, Claire Boshart! 🎉
Lunch with Dr. Green & A Friend
Fourth grade student Serena Vander Stoep & a buddy 🎉
Fourth grade student Christian Glaiel & a buddy 🎉
Fifth grade student Shaun Chae & a buddy 🎉
Fifth grade student Julia Johnson & a buddy 🎉
2. Author/Illustrator Jerry Craft will be visiting Field School on Wednesday! Field School is thrilled to welcome award-winning author and illustrator Jerry Craft for a whole school presentation this Wednesday, April 5 at 9:00 a.m. in the Field School gym. In March, all fourth and fifth grade students, faculty, and staff participated in an all-school read of Jerry’s graphic novel, New Kid. Jerry is the winner of the 2020 Newbery Medal, winner of the 2020 Coretta Scott King Book Awards Author Award, winner of the 2019 Kirkus Prize for Young Readers’ Literature, and a #1 New York Times Bestseller. Parents are welcome to join in this celebration of the culmination of our all-school read with Jerry Craft’s presentation on Wednesday. If you are interested in ordering a signed copy of the book, please click here.
3. WEEFC’s 2023 Fall Fundraiser – Call for Auction Items & Sponsorships: Planning has begun for WEEFC’s Fall 2023 Fundraiser, scheduled for September 30. Tickets will go on sale in late summer, but we could use your help now to ensure the event is a success. We’re currently seeking businesses, artists, musicians, craftsmen, and local stores/sports teams/hotels/theaters that might be willing to provide or donate a service or item for the auction. Whether you’ve got a connection to spa services, lawn care, destination getaways or something in between, we want to hear from you! Interested in helping plan the event? Our next meeting is on Friday, April 14 at 10:30 a.m. at Case House, and everyone is welcome. Please contact Steph Corcoran with auction/event ideas and Katie Strohacker if your business might be interested in sponsoring the event.
4. Weston School Clean-Up Day is this Wednesday! Please join the Weston PTO Green Team and help to take care of our school community! Meet in front of your school with your family to help pick up trash around the schools, grounds, and playgrounds this Wednesday, April 5 (early release day):
- 11:30 a.m. at Woodland, Country, and Field School
- 12:45 p.m. at Middle School
- High School clean-up will take place during the school day.
- Please email Angela Rostami or Heather Borden with any questions. Hope to see you there!
5. Jazz Performance for Fourth Grade – Parents Welcome! Earlier this year, fourth grade students studied the Southeast Region and learned that New Orleans was the birthplace of Jazz music in the United States. They explored the infamous Congo Square and used critical thinking to make connections. Students learned that music was a big part of their lives and was both uplifting and informative. In connection with this curriculum, “Made in the Shade” jazz group will be performing for the fourth grade this Thursday, April 6 at 10:30 a.m. in the Field School gym. The performance was organized by the Weston PTO Performing Artists and Authors Committee (PAAC) with grants received from WEEFC.Parents who would like to attend are welcome!
6. Hope & Comfort Drive – Items Due This Thursday! Please join Hope & Comfort and the Weston PTO to improve the health, self-esteem, and hygiene education of young people in our community by donating new, unexpired hygiene products as part of the Weston PTO’s annual Hope & Comfort Drive, through this Thursday, April 6. Collection bins will be located in the lobby of each school during this time.
The most needed items are:
- Sulfate-free shampoo
- Bars of soap
- Menstrual products
Donations can also be made via Amazon Wish List by clicking HERE.
Basic hygiene items can make a huge impact on the health and well-being of children and adults in need. Items donated will be distributed to youth serving organizations, food pantries, and other human service agencies located in Greater Boston and beyond. Thank you for your support of this important service project!
7. Important Dates:
- Monday, April 3: School Committee Meeting | 6:30 p.m. | Weston High School Auditorium & via Zoom
- Wednesday, April 5: Presentation By Author/Illustrator Jerry Craft | 9:00 a.m. | Field School Gym
- Wednesday, April 5: Early Dismissal | 11:30 a.m.
- Wednesday, April 5: Weston PTO Green Team School Clean-Up | 11:30 a.m. | Meet in front of the school!
- Thursday, April 6: Jazz Performance for Fourth Grade (Parents Welcome) | 10:30 a.m. | Field School Gym
- Friday, April 7: No School
- Monday, April 17 – Friday, April 21: No School | April Break
- Sunday, April 23: Weston Fishing Derby | 9:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. | Weston High School Pond
- Monday, April 24: School Committee Meeting | 6:30 p.m.
- Thursday, April 27: Principal’s Coffee re. Grade 5 Transition to Middle School | 9:00-10:00 a.m. | Field School Cafeteria
- Sunday, May 7: Weston PMC Kids Ride | 8:00 a.m. | Weston Middle School
- Monday, May 8: Annual Town Meeting | Weston High School Auditorium | 7:00 p.m. | Child care information coming soon
8. Help for a Weston Elementary Family: One of our Field School families had a devastating house fire recently. Thankfully, everyone is safe, but their home is uninhabitable–and the family has urgent needs. We are collecting gift cards that will help with the immediate purchase of groceries, clothing, and other much needed goods. Gift cards to grocery stores or stores/websites where different types of goods can be purchased (e.g., Walmart, Target, or Amazon) would be particularly helpful. Please drop off any gift cards at the front desk with the office staff. A GoFundMe page has also been set up by the family that can be accessed here. Any support you can provide would be much appreciated!
9. Last Chance to Claim Bus Barn Lost & Found Items! You can stop by the Bus Barn (456 Wellesley Street, Weston) between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Monday-Friday to look for any missing items. Please note that you must stop by in person, as the Transportation Department staff is unable to look for items from phone or email requests. Any unclaimed items will be donated after this Friday, April 14.
10. Weston Fishing Derby*: Calling all Weston area children! The Rotary Club of Weston & Wayland invites you to our annual Fishing Derby–a 40+ year tradition–on Sunday, April 23 from 9:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. at the Weston High School Pond. Bring your own gear, bait (no lures, please), and bucket. Fishing starts at 9:00 a.m. sharp! Prizes are in four age categories up to age 14. Please note, this is a free event, and you can register online to attend by clicking here. This event takes place rain or shine since the fish like to eat in all weather! Food and refreshments will be available for purchase. Volunteers are welcome to help measure fish. Fishing is great family fun! Click here for more information.
*Please note the Fishing Derby is not affiliated with Weston Public Schools
11. Weston PMC Kids Ride (May 7): Grab your helmet and get biking for a great cause! The Weston PMC Kids Ride is back for its 6th year with in-person and virtual options for riders ages 2-12. Click HERE for more information, registration, and volunteer sign-up. 100% of proceeds go to Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. Contact WHS junior Olivia Rome with questions or to volunteer.
Date: Sunday, May 7, 2023
Time: 8:00 a.m. registration/check-in followed by 8:30 – 9:30 a.m. ride. Fun activities to follow the ride. Event wraps up by 10:00 a.m.
Location: Weston Middle School, 456 Wellesley St. Weston, MA 02493
Online registration is open now!
Fee: $20 registration fee with a commitment of $40
More Info: https://kids.pmc.org/weston
12. Support METCO with the purchase of METCO Matters merchandise! Please use the link to submit your orders, which will be shipped directly to you.