Guidelines for Effective Communication
The Home School Communication Advisory Committee, consisting of teachers, administrators, parents, and
community representatives, developed a set of system-wide guidelines for effective family and school
Parents and teachers, working together, can maximize effective communication when:
1. Schools welcome parents as partners in the educational process.
2. Schools share general information so that parents are informed on a regular basis and know whom
to contact with questions or concerns.
3. Parents become familiar with information distributed by the school or school system. (For example,
all high school parents and students should sign up for myGrapevine so that they can receive
emergency notices as well as general information via email.)
4. Parents who seek information about their child’s progress first speak directly with the student’s
teacher or guidance counselor.
5. Principals and teachers are open to parent concerns and offer opportunity for respectful
6. Parents and school staff act respectfully at meetings and forums and are considerate of speakers
in asking questions or making comments. These gatherings are important vehicles for sharing
information and creating conversation between home and school.
7. Parents and school staff acknowledge the volume of information that circulates each day and are
respectful of time demands. For example, it may not be possible for a parent or staff member to
respond immediately to a phone call unless it is an emergency.
8. Parents and students are expected to review the contents of the Student/Parent Handbook.
Superintendent of Schools:
Dr. Cheryl Maloney 781-786-5210
Mrs. Amber Bock 781-786-5220
Assistant Superintendent of Finance and Operations:
Ms. Cynthia Mahr 781-786-5230
Director of Student Services:
Ms. Susan Strong 781-786-5240
Weston High School Telephone System
Our automated telephone system provides one tier of options for quick selections. In addition, we have
created the ability to go to a second tier of options if you wish to connect with a department head and do not
know his/her extension. The quickest way to make connections with an individual is to know the party's
The High School telephone number is (781) 786-5800. For emergencies dial this number and press
either 1 for the Attendance office or 7for the Main Office.
First Tier of Selections
1. Attendance Office and Assistant Principal Erica Cole
2. Guidance Office and Director of Guidance Richard Escobar
3. Nurse’s Office
4. Athletics and Athletics Director Michael McGrath
5. Academic Departments
6. Skills Department
7. Main Office and Principal Parker
8. Staff Directory
Second Tier of Selections-Academic Departments and Department Heads
1. Visual Arts
3. Foreign Language
4. History/Social Studies
8. Health/PE/Consumer Science
High School Information Contact List
myGrapevine Information for Parents and Students
myGrapevine is the electronic communication system for the Weston School System as well as the community. This is the primary communication vehicle between the schools and parents so it's important for all families to be registered on myGrapevine.
To register in Weston, go to www.westongrapevine.org and create an account. Follow the instructions to select your personal settings for topics and communications options.
Information about the high school can be accessed from the Weston Public Schools website at www.westonschools.org. In addition to the school calendar for 2013-2014, there are links for athletics, guidance, the library, academic departments, and administration. Teachers post their homework assignments and provide course-related information on the website http://www.homeworknow.com. Math teachers post their assignments and provide course-related information on the website http://www.westonmath.org. School announcements concerning inclement weather are posted on the homepage at www.westonschools.org.
“No School” Days
To find out about “NO SCHOOL” or “DELAYED OPENING” days, in case of snow or other emergencies: listen to radio stations WBZ-AM (1030), WCRB-FM (102.5), WRKO-AM (680), or WBUR-FM (90.9) or log onto this Weston Public Schools website.
To avoid interfering with emergency calls, do not call the school switchboard or the Police or Fire departments.
click here to download or view the entire Student Parent Handbook