February 27, 2022
Dear Weston School Community,
Welcome back! There is changed COVID guidance from the CDC that occurred over break so we wanted to share that with you and let you know what to expect when school opens tomorrow.
On February 15th the Weston School Committee voted in support of transitioning to a mask optional school environment beginning February 28th, 2022. Beginning tomorrow, February 28th, Field School, Weston Middle and Weston High Schools will all shift to mask optional. Masks will still be required at Country and Woodland for grades K-3 until March 7, 2022 to allow for anyone to discuss accommodations in light of the new requirements. Teachers and support staff are prepared to support students during this transition and ensure that every student’s choice to mask or not mask will be respected. Additionally, masks (surgical, KN95 and N95) will be available at each school for any student or staff member who requests them.
The CDC lifted the mask mandate for all public school vans and buses. Beginning tomorrow, Monday February 28, 2022 masks will be optional on all Weston public school buses for all grades. Private Schools and collaboratives as well private transportation companies will be making their decisions on masking independently.
As a reminder, masks are still required in the school health offices and in the COVID-19 testing areas. We encourage each student and staff member to continue to bring their own preferred mask to school for use in the aforementioned locations.
Weston Public School District is dependent upon all students, staff, and families to continue to partner with us to ensure this transition is successful. We ask that the following best-practices be continued:
- Vaccination remains that single most effective means of reducing COVID-19 illness. All unvaccinated students and staff are strongly encouraged to seek vaccination and wear a mask while in school. Click here to access the WBOH vaccination clinic page.
- All students and staff who feel ill are strongly encouraged to remain home and test – rapid antigen or PCR testing options remain available to all. Any student who tests positive for COVID-19 will be able to access school remotely and should contact their school administrator or school nurse for next steps.
- All eligible students and staff are strongly encouraged to continue weekly participation in one or both testing programs (at-home rapid antigen or pool testing)
- Any person recovering from COVID-19 infection and returning to school on days 6-10 MUST mask with a tightly fitted mask at all times except when eating
- All students and staff MUST mask in the school health office, and in the COVID-19 testing areas
- Any student or staff who is recovering from a non-COVID-19 related illness and is displaying respiratory symptoms should wear a mask to protect others
- All students and staff MUST maintain a safe school environment by respecting the rights of others to choose their masking preference. Bullying or harassment of students or staff based upon their masking choice will not be tolerated and will be subject to investigation by the building administrator.
Guidance from each building will be communicated out to staff and families over the next several days. With recent increases in travel over the February vacation we ask that all eligible students and staff test today, Sunday, February 27th, using the at-home antigen tests and report any positive results here. We strongly encourage those who have not enrolled in the weekly at-home testing program, and have recently returned from travel, test using at home rapid testing or PCR testing. Click here to find a local PCR testing location.
We continue to thank you for your support and commitment to keeping Weston Schools open and safe.
Dr. Midge Connolly
Director of Health Services