What is SEL?
Social and emotional learning (SEL) is an integral part of education and human development, as well as professional success. SEL is the process through which all young people and adults acquire and apply the knowledge, skills, and attitudes to develop healthy identities, manage emotions and achieve personal and collective goals, feel and show empathy for others, establish and maintain supportive relationships, be leaders, and make responsible and caring decisions. Simply put, SEL is a lifelong process of learning how to better understand ourselves, connect with others, and work together to achieve goals and support our communities. SEL helps to boost academic outcomes and is an essential part of preparing youth for success in the workforce of tomorrow.
To see some examples of SEL being practiced in our schools, please click here.
SEL Articles and Resources
- Welcoming Students With a Smile
- Helping Students Cope With a Difficult Year
- What Students Will Need as the Year Begins
- Encouraging Students to Develop Resilience
- 7 Ways to Teach Kids to Manage Their Own Conflicts
- How Creating Visual Art Contributes to SEL
- Guiding Students to Improve Executive Functioning Skills
- Journal of Social and Emotional Learning
Click here to visit the Social and Emotional Learning website
The website above is currently being updated, please check back later for more resources!