The Weston School Health Services Office would like to assist you in obtaining free training on Concussion Awareness.
As a parent, with all the current media attention given to concussions, it is hard not to be worried. While there is an inherent risk in sports, especially contact sports, concussions can occur from any type of fall (even on the playground) that can jar and shift the brain. By arming oneself with proper concussion awareness, parents can increase their knowledge base, thus support them in recognizing the signs and symptoms of concussion and help safeguard their children from long term complications.
Below is the link to National Family Health Survey (NFHS) and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) free online course offering for parents and coaches. By taking this free course you will be able to learn how to:
- Obtain education on concussion signs & symptoms, and risks
- Develop skills to recognize signs & symptoms, and respond appropriately
- Obtain appropriate post-injury medical evaluation and support symptom management at home and school
- Understand the need for return to sport participation only with proper, written medical clearance.
- Concussion Heads Up Training: http://www.cdc.gov/headsup/youthsports/training/index.html
- Concussion info: for Parent: https://www.cdc.gov/headsup/parents/index.html
If you have any questions or concerns surrounding concussions or your child, please contact your school nurse or physician.