Dear Field School families,
We hope you enjoyed the long weekend! We have a lot of important updates to share this week so we encourage you to please read through the following announcements and a few reminders:
- Safety Parent Forum
- Fifth Grade Parent Coffee
- Responsive Home Workshops
- BWMPO/PTO “Meet Me Halfway” Parents’ Night Out
- Important Dates
- FS School Council – We are still in need of two candidates!
- Back to School Night Schedule
- Lunch/Recess Monitors Needed
- Weston Elementary Tee Shirt Orders
We hope you will consider joining the Field School School Council , and don’t forget to take a look at the Field School website if you haven’t already. This is a busy time of year with a lot of information being shared so please don’t hesitate to reach out to us with any questions.
Have a wonderful week!
Laura Wilson & Taylor McIntire Field School PTO Co-Chairs
Safety Parent Forum: Families from all Weston Public Schools are invited to a safety forum Tuesday, September 27 at 7:00pm at Weston Middle School to learn more about ALICE active shooter drills, which will be run in each Weston school during the year. ALICE stands for Alert, Lockdown, Inform, Counter, and Evacuate. The forum will be facilitated by Erin Maguire, Principal of Country School; Phil Oates, Assistant Principal of Weston Middle School; and Drew Gribbons, School Resource Officer, Weston Police. A Zoom option is available for those unable to attend in person, and the link is as follows: https://westonorg.zoom.us/j/82674607259.
Fifth Grade Parent Coffee: Dr. Green will be hosting a Principal’s Coffee for fifth grade families this Thursday, September 29 at 9:00am in the Field School cafeteria. A Zoom option will be available for those unable to attend in person, and Dr. Green will email the link later this week. In an effort to be environmentally friendly and cut down on food waste, we encourage you to bring your own coffee or tea in a reusable container.
Responsive Home Workshops: Amy Kelly, Director of Equity and Professional Learning for the Weston Public Schools, will be offering a Responsive Home Workshop for parents and caregivers on three different dates this fall. These workshops will provide families with research-based strategies for supporting your child’s social emotional needs. The same content will be presented at each session so please feel free to attend any of the sessions, regardless of which school your child attends. Workshops will take place in the Case House Large Conference Room, 89 Wellesley Street, on the following dates/times:
BWMPO/PTO “Meet Me Halfway” Parents’ Night Out: Given last year’s success with Parent Night Out, the BWMPO and PTO are excited to partner once again and host the “Meet Me Halfway” Parents’ Night Out. This event will take place at Trillium in Canton on Saturday, October 15th from 6:00-8:00pm. While not in Boston this time around, Canton is a great halfway destination to further connect as parents. Tickets are $20 per person to cover food costs, but beverages should be purchased independently. Please RSVP here by Wednesday, October 12th. We can’t wait to see you!
- Tuesday, September 27: Safety Parent Forum | 7:00pm | Weston Middle School (Zoom option available)
- Thursday, September 29: Grade 5 Principal’s Coffee (Zoom option available) | 9-10am
- Friday, September 30: Responsive Home Workshop | 9:00-10:30am | Case House Large Conference Room
- Saturday, October 1: WEEFC Fall Fundraiser | 6:30-10:30pm | Field School Field
- Wednesday, October 5: No school (Yom Kippur)
- Thursday, October 6: Back-to-School Night | 5:30-7:35pm | Field School
- Monday, October 10: No school (Columbus Day/Indigenous Peoples’ Day)
- Wednesday, October 12: Early Dismissal | 11:30am
- Thursday, October 13: Responsive Home Workshop | 6:00-7:30pm | Case House Large Conference Room
- Friday, October 14: Field School Picture Day (more info forthcoming)
- Saturday, October 15: BWMPO/PTO “Meet Me Halfway” Parents’ Night Out | 6:00-8:00pm / Trillium, Canton
- Friday, October 28: K-5 Trunk or Treat | Field School Parking Lot | 4:30-6:00pm (more info forthcoming)
- Wednesday, November 2nd: Responsive Home Workshop | 9:00-10:30am | Case House Large Conference Room
Join the Field School School Council! Field School has two open seats for a two-year term for School Council. This is an important and exciting opportunity for parents to get involved! Every public school in the state is required by law to have a School Council made up of various representatives, including elected parents. According to the MA Department of Education, school councils are to assist principals in: adopting educational goals for the school that are consistent with local educational policies and statewide student performance standards, identifying the educational needs of students attending the school, reviewing the annual school building budget, and formulating a school improvement plan. Beginning in October, the School Council will meet monthly on the first Monday of the month from 3:00-4:00pm, and meetings will take place in person at Field School this year.
If you are interested in running for School Council, please send a candidate statement to Laura Wilson (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Taylor McIntire (email@example.com) by October 4, 2022. Information that you might consider including in your candidate statement would be as follows:
- -Where your children are in school
- -Other volunteer commitments
- -Other work experience and/or community involvements
- -Why you are interested in School Council and what contributions you can make
School Council Elections will run from October 11-14. Voting will take place electronically via Google Form, and results will be shared within a few days following the close of voting
Back to School Night Schedule for Thursday, October 6th:
- -5:30pm Specialist staff, student services instructors, academic coaches, and the METCO Academic Liaison will be available for drop-in visits in the Field School library until 6:30pm.
- -6:00 – 6:30pm Fourth Grade Classroom Presentations in Classrooms
- -6:35 – 6:55pm Presentation by Dr. Green to Fourth and Fifth Grade Parents in Gym
- -7:05 – 7:35pm Fifth Grade Classroom Presentations in Classrooms
Lunch/Recess Monitors Needed: Dr. Green is looking to hire lunch/recess monitors at Field School for part-time work between the hours of 11:15am-1:30pm every day during the school year. These positions are perfect for parents interested in connecting with and supporting students during less structured times. The position pays $16.33-$17.59 an hour. Please reach out to Dr. Green if you are interested.
Weston Elementary Tee Shirts: This year, the PTO is selling Weston Elementary tee-shirts that bring together all three elementary schools, with a map of Case Campus on the back. They are heather grey, and sizes are unisex (they do run slightly small). We have both youth and adult sizes available (except we are sold out of youth small and have limited youth mediums remaining). The cost is $25 per shirt, and you can order them here. Please Venmo @Jessica-Grasshoff or email firstname.lastname@example.org for other payment options.