Dear Field School families,
It’s another busy week so we encourage you to please read through the following announcements (in bold below) and a few reminders:
- Back to School Night
- Student Art on Display at Back to School Night!
- METCO Family and Friends Dismissal Notepad Fundraiser
- Candidate Statements for School Council Due Tuesday 10/4
- Elementary Curriculum Forum Series
- Trunk or Treat
- Important Dates
- Responsive Home Workshops
- BWMPO/PTO “Meet Me Halfway” Parents’ Night Out
- Lunch/Recess Monitors Needed
We look forward to seeing you at Back to School Night on Thursday evening! Please don’t hesitate to reach out with any questions in the meantime.
Laura Wilson & Taylor McIntire Field School PTO Co-Chairs
1. Back to School Night Information: Back-to-School Night is this Thursday! We hope you will stop by the PTO table to say hello that evening and to learn more about the various ways you can get involved with the PTO. Click here for more information about the PTO STEM Group and here for more information on the Performing Artists and Authors Committee. We will also have Weston Elementary Tees and Field School magnets for sale.
Please note the schedule for that evening:
- -5:30pm Specialist staff, student services instructors, academic coaches, and the METCO Academic Liaison will be available for drop-in visits in the Field School library until 6:30pm.
- -6:00 – 6:30pm Fourth Grade Classroom Presentations in Classrooms
- -6:35 – 6:55pm Presentation by Dr. Green to Fourth and Fifth Grade Parents in Gym
- -7:05 – 7:35pm Fifth Grade Classroom Presentations in Classrooms
2. Student Art on Display at Back to School Night! Please see the following message from Field School art teacher Mr. Ginga:
Hey FS Families!
Students have been hard at work in the art room and we already have beautiful projects to display! When you come for Back To School Night be sure to look for your student’s artwork, it will be color-coded by class, and every student in the school will have something on display. The colors and locations are listed below. I will be in the Library from 5:30-6:30 if you’d like to swing by and say hello!
- 5th Grade will be in the main lobby
- Glode: Light Blue
- Quezada: Purple
- Triconi: Dark Blue
- Shilalie: Black with a silver sticker
- Diorio: Yellow
- Desmarais: Dark Green
4th Grade will be outside the art room in the 4th-grade hallway
- Choi: Red
- Quirk: Light Green
- Brown: Brown
- Marshall: Pink
- Ryan: Orange (in the main lobby)
- Yates: Black
- Strandberg: Gold/Tan
See you then! Mr. Ginga
3. METCO Family and Friends Dismissal Notepad Fundraiser: The Dismissal Notepad Fundraiser is back! Proceeds from this fundraiser benefit the Weston METCO Family Friends program. These handy notepads can be used year after year! The deadline for ordering is October 21, 2022. One order includes 4 (50 sheets per pad) notepads. You can place your order using the following form: METCO Dismissal pads. For questions, please contact Nancy Fournier at firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. Candidate Statements for School Council Due Tuesday: Field School has two open seats for a two-year term for School Council. This is an important and exciting opportunity for parents to get involved! Every public school in the state is required by law to have a School Council made up of various representatives, including elected parents. According to the MA Department of Education, school councils are to assist principals in: adopting educational goals for the school that are consistent with local educational policies and statewide student performance standards, identifying the educational needs of students attending the school, reviewing the annual school building budget, and formulating a school improvement plan. The School Council will meet monthly on the first Monday of the month from 3:00-4:00pm, and meetings will take place in person at Field School this year.
If you are interested in running for School Council, please send a candidate statement to Laura Wilson (email@example.com) and Taylor McIntire (firstname.lastname@example.org) by this Tuesday, October 4, 2022. Information that you might consider including in your candidate statement would be as follows:
- -Where your children are in school
- -Other volunteer commitments
- -Other work experience and/or community involvements
- -Why you are interested in School Council and what contributions you can make
- School Council Elections will run from October 11-14. Voting will take place electronically via Google Form, and results will be shared within a few days following the close of voting.
5. Elementary Curriculum Forum Series: You should have received an email last week regarding the upcoming Curriculum Forum Series. Each forum will present one or more curricular areas across K-5 with opportunities for parents/caregivers to ask questions and give feedback. You can click here for more information. Please note that the location for the Math Curriculum Forum on October 13 has changed from Woodland to Country School.
6. Trunk or Treat: After three years, we are thrilled to welcome back the Weston Elementary Trunk or Treat! This year’s Trunk or Treat will take place on Friday, October 28 from 4:30-6pm in the Field School Parking Lot. This event is open to K-5 students from all three elementary schools and their families. Parents, please note that this is not a drop-off event and that all children need to be accompanied by an adult. It is our goal to make this event safe, inclusive, and fun for all of our families. More information and a signup to decorate a trunk will be sent via email from Room Parents tomorrow so keep an eye on your inbox!
7. Important Dates:
- Wednesday, October 5: No school (Yom Kippur)
- Thursday, October 6: Back-to-School Night (more info forthcoming)
- Monday, October 10: No school (Columbus Day/Indigenous Peoples’ Day)
- Wednesday, October 12: Early Dismissal | 11:30am
- Thursday, October 13: Math Curriculum Forum | 8:30-9:30am | Country School
- Thursday, October 13: Responsive Home Workshop | 6:00-7:30pm | Case House Large Conference Room
- Friday, October 14: Field School Picture Day (more info forthcoming)
- Saturday, October 15: BWMPO/PTO “Meet Me Halfway” Parents’ Night Out | 6:00-8:00pm / Trillium, Canton
- Thursday, October 27: Science/Social Studies Curriculum Forum | 8:30-9:30am | Field School
- Friday, October 28: K-5 Trunk or Treat | Field School Parking Lot | 4:30-6:00pm (more info forthcoming)
- Wednesday, November 2nd: Responsive Home Workshop | 9:00-10:30am | Case House Large Conference Room
- Thursday, November 10: Intervention/Title I Curriculum Forum | 8:30-9:30am | Country School
- Thursday, December 1: Reading, Fundations, & Heggerty Curriculum Forum | 8:30-9:30am | Field School
- Thursday, December 8: Tech & Libraries Curriculum Forum | 8:30-9:30am | Field School
- Thursday, December 15: Writing Curriculum Forum | 8:30-9:30am | Country School
8. Responsive Home Workshops: Amy Kelly, Director of Equity and Professional Learning for the Weston Public Schools, will be offering a Responsive Home Workshop for parents and caregivers this fall. These workshops will provide families with research-based strategies for supporting your child’s social emotional needs. The same content will be presented at both sessions so please feel free to attend either session, regardless of which school your child attends. Workshops will take place in the Case House Large Conference Room, 89 Wellesley Street, on the following dates/times:
9. BWMPO/PTO “Meet Me Halfway” Parents’ Night Out: Given last year’s success with Parent Night Out, the BWMPO and PTO are excited to partner once again and host the “Meet Me Halfway” Parents’ Night Out. This event will take place at Trillium in Canton on Saturday, October 15th from 6:00-8:00pm. While not in Boston this time around, Canton is a great halfway destination to further connect as parents. Tickets are $20 per person to cover food costs, but beverages should be purchased independently. Please RSVP here by Wednesday, October 12th. We can’t wait to see you!
10. Lunch/Recess Monitors Needed: Dr. Green is looking to hire lunch/recess monitors at Field School for part-time work between the hours of 11:15am-1:30pm every day during the school year. These positions are perfect for parents interested in connecting with and supporting students during less structured times. The position pays $16.33-$17.59 an hour. Please reach out to Dr. Green if you are interested.