Dear Field School families,
We hope you had a great weekend. Thank you so much to all who joined us for Trunk or Treat on Friday! From our SPOOKtacularly creative trunk volunteers and Teal Pumpkin fillers, to our FANGtastic community of trunk-or-treating families–this event would not be possible without you. After three years, we were thrilled to welcome this beloved tradition back to the elementary schools, with record attendance (and quite possibly a record number of pizza slices consumed!). Be sure to check out the fun photos we shared on the Field School Instagram account if you haven’t already.
It is thanks to your PTO membership dues that we are able to make special events like this happen. We encourage you to click here to join today if you haven’t already. No volunteering is necessary–but always welcome. We also invite you to come learn more about the PTO at Heirloom Restaurant in Weston this Thursday (more information below).
It’s another busy week, with an early dismissal on Wednesday! Please read through the following new announcements (in bold below), along with a few reminders:
- Bristol Lodge Annual Food Drive & Student Council Sock Drive
- Supplies Needed for the Fifth Grade’s Veteran’s Day Poster Project!
- Talk, Demonstration & Book Signing with Author/Illustrator Raul the Third
- Get To Know the Weston PTO
- Important Dates
- Trick or Treat for UNICEF
- BWMPO Fall 2022 John Hudson Memorial Scholarship Fundraiser
- Weston METCO Fruit Sale
Please don’t hesitate to reach out with any questions.
Wishing your family a safe and happy Halloween,
Laura Wilson & Taylor McIntire
Field School PTO Co-Chairs
1. Bristol Lodge Annual Food Drive & Student Council Sock Drive
(November 1 – November 23)
Please support the Weston PTO and elementary schools’ annual drive for Waltham’s Bristol Lodge Food Pantry and Homeless Shelters. The drive will run from November 1 to November 23. Children can bring non-perishable donations to the designated collection bins at Field School. The goal is to collect at least 2,000 items from each elementary school! Suggested items to donate include canned goods, pasta, boxed juices, cereals, kids’ snacks, condiments, baby food, dried beans and rice. Pull top-lids are preferred, and all items must be non-expired.
In addition, we are offering the option to donate a grocery store gift card (suggested stores are Stop & Shop, Star Market and Market Basket). Please send grocery gift cards to Stacy Gilman, 26 Candleberry Lane, Weston, MA or email to email@example.com. Venmo donations are also accepted at @Michelle-Raymond-58 (7316 last four digits of phone #). Please involve your students and give!
As in years past, the Field School Student Council will partner with the PTO on this event, and there will be a special prize awarded to the class with the most items! In addition to the items listed above, Field will be collecting NEW men’s and women’s socks as part of the Student Council’s Socktober and Movember Socks and More! Socks can be sent into school with your student to be placed in the designated collection bins.
2. Supplies Needed for the Fifth Grade’s Veteran’s Day Poster Project! Last year, the fifth grade classes made posters to express their gratitude to veterans in observance of Veteran’s Day. This year, the Weston Council on Aging (COA) reached out to see if the fifth graders might make signs again, as they would like to showcase the work of the fifth graders at their Veteran’s Day breakfast. What a special opportunity for our fifth grade students! In support of this community project, we hope to provide the fifth grade team with the supplies they need, and you can use the following link to sign up if you are able to help:
Supplies can be dropped off in the Field School main office tomorrow and Tuesday. Thank you!
3. Talk, Demonstration & Book Signing with Author/Illustrator Raul the Third
Join us at the Weston Public Library on Thursday, November 17th from 4-5pm for an exciting afternoon with author/illustrator Raul the Third. Raúl The Third is a New York Times bestselling and three-time Pura Belpre award-winning illustrator, author, and artist living in Boston. As Mr. Ginga said, this is a great opportunity for our students and would be a great warm-up for the fifth graders who will be doing comic book covers in art later this year!
“Vamos! Let’s Cross the Bridge” was awarded one of the year’s Best Illustrated Children’s Books of 2021 from the New York Times and the New York Public Library. He is currently adapting his World of Vamos! books into an animated television series with Silvergate Media and Mercury Filmworks. His work centers around the contemporary Mexican-American experience and his memories of growing up in El Paso, Texas and Ciudad Juarez, Mexico. For more information and to register, please follow this LINK. This event is free and open to the public.
4. Get To Know the Weston PTO at Heirloom Restaurant in Weston this Thursday, November 3 from 9:00-10:00am. Come learn what the Weston PTO is all about and the various ways that you can get involved.
5. Important Dates: Please note that this week’s events are in bold below.
- Wednesday, November 2nd: Responsive Home Workshop | 9:00-10:30am | Case House Large Conference Room
- Wednesday, November 2: Early Dismissal | 11:30am
- Thursday, November 3: Get To Know the Weston PTO | 9:00-10:00am | Heirloom Restaurant, Weston
- Thursday, November 10: Intervention/Title I Curriculum Forum | 8:30-9:30am | Country School
- Friday, November 11: No School | Veterans Day
- Thursday, November 17: Principal’s Coffee | 9:00am | Field School Cafeteria (more info forthcoming)
- Tuesday, November 22: Field School Picture Retake Day
- Wednesday, November 23: Early Dismissal | 11:00am
- Thursday, November 24 – Friday, November 25: No School | Thanksgiving Holiday Break
- Thursday, December 1: Reading, Fundations, & Heggerty Curriculum Forum | 8:30-9:30am | Field School
- Thursday, December 8: Tech & Libraries Curriculum Forum | 8:30-9:30am | Field School
- Thursday, December 15: Writing Curriculum Forum | 8:30-9:30am | Country School
6. Don’t Forget to Trick or Treat for UNICEF! A Weston Elementary tradition is collecting money on Halloween for UNICEF. Like last year, UNICEF is not providing the orange collection boxes for children to take door-to-door. However, Weston students can still Trick-or-Treat for UNICEF! Donations can be made quickly and easily by clicking here between now and November 2 to contribute to our Weston Elementary Schools fundraising page. Your donation will help UNICEF deliver health care and immunizations, safe water and sanitation, nutrition, education and emergency relief to millions of children around the world. Please reach out to Stacy Gilman at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
7. BWMPO Fall 2022 John Hudson Memorial Scholarship Fundraiser: The BWMPO is excited to launch our fall fundraiser for the John Hudson Memorial Scholarship fund with Boston-based My Grandma’s Coffee Cakes. These cakes are guaranteed to be a hit on any occasion! There are four flavors available to order and we’ll have a pickup location in Weston and another in Boston for your convenience on November 19th, just in time for the holidays. Don’t delay; order your cakes today! Please contact Keitrice Johnson with any questions, and submit your order here.
8. The Weston METCO Fruit Sale is Back! 100% of the proceeds raised go to help support Weston High School METCO Student Activities. In the past we have been able to assist with field trip and AP exam fees as well as host special METCO student celebrations and community-building events! We would love to expand our effort and include supporting our Global Student Travel Fund, which offers scholarships to assist METCO Students’ participation in educational travel opportunities. Your orders will help to make this possible! Just click the following link to log on to our group fruit sale website: http://freshfruitorderorg/WestonMetcoFruit. The deadline for ordering fruit with a credit card online is November 20. If you would like to pay by cash or check, please contact Nancy Fournier at 781-786-5851 or email@example.com. Thank you for your support!