FS PTO Update
Dear Field School families,
We hope you had a wonderful weekend! It was great to see many of you at last week’s Spring Sing at Field School, where our fourth and fifth grade chorus students did a phenomenal job. It’s a busy time of year so we encourage you to please read the following announcements (in bold below), along with a few reminders:
- Weston Middle School Principal Survey for Field School Families – Closes Tonight!
- Hope & Comfort Drive (Begins March 27)
- Weston School Clean-Up Day (April 5)
- Weston Fishing Derby (April 23)
- Weston PMC Kids Ride (May 7)
- Important Dates
- Three Ways to Support METCO
- Fractal Fair (Postponed) – Tuesday 3/21
Please note that, in lieu of the Principal’s Coffee originally on the Field School calendar for this Thursday, we hope to see many of you at the joint BWMPO/PTO in-person meeting in Boston on Thursday evening. Note, this event is open to the entire Weston school community (details below).
Have a wonderful week, and please don’t hesitate to reach out to us with any questions. We love hearing from you.
Laura Wilson & Taylor McIntire
Field School PTO Co-Chairs
1. Weston Middle School Principal Survey for Field School Families – Closes Tonight! The WPS administrative team is working to hire a replacement for Principal John Gibbons and would like input from you on what you value most in a middle school Principal. By participating in this survey, you will be able to make your voice heard and guide the hiring committee during the selection process. Please click here to complete the Middle School Principal Search Survey. All responses to this survey are anonymous and will be reported only in summary form. Please note, the survey will remain open until the end of the day today (Sunday, March 19). Thank you for your participation in this effort!
2. Hope & Comfort Drive: Please join Hope & Comfort and the Weston PTO to improve the health, self-esteem, and hygiene education of young people in our community by donating new, unexpired hygiene products as part of the Weston PTO’s annual Hope & Comfort Drive, starting next Monday, March 27 through Thursday, April 6. Collection bins will be located in the lobby of each school during this time.
The most needed items are:
- Sulfate-free shampoo
- Bars of soap
- Menstrual products
Donations can also be made via Amazon Wish List by clicking HERE.
Basic hygiene items can make a huge impact on the health and well-being of children and adults in need. Items donated will be distributed to youth serving organizations, food pantries, and other human service agencies located in Greater Boston and beyond. Thank you for your support of this important service project!
3. Weston School Clean-Up Day (April 5): Please join the Weston PTO Green Team and help to take care of our school community! Meet in front of your school with your family to help pick up trash around the schools, grounds, and playgrounds on Wednesday, April 5 (early release day):
11:30 a.m. at Woodland, Country, and Field School
12:45 p.m. at Middle School
High School clean-up take place during the school day.
Please email Angela Rostami or Heather Borden with any questions. Hope to see you there!
4. Weston Fishing Derby: Calling all Weston area children! The Rotary Club of Weston & Wayland invites you to our annual Fishing Derby–a 40+ year tradition–on Sunday, April 23 from 9:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. at the Weston High School Pond. Bring your own gear, bait (no lures, please), and bucket. Fishing starts at 9:00 a.m. sharp! Prizes are in four age categories up to age 14. Please note, this is a free event, and you can register online to attend by clicking here. This event takes place rain or shine since the fish like to eat in all weather! Food and refreshments will be available for purchase. Volunteers are welcome to help measure fish. Fishing is great family fun! Click here for more information.
5. Weston PMC Kids Ride (May 7): Grab your helmet and get biking for a great cause! The Weston PMC Kids Ride is back for its 6th year with in-person and virtual options for riders ages 2-12. Click HERE for more information, registration, and volunteer sign-up. 100% of proceeds go to Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. Contact WHS junior Olivia Rome with questions or to volunteer.
Date: Sunday, May 7, 2023
Time: 8:00 a.m. registration/check-in followed by 8:30 – 9:30 a.m. ride. Fun activities to follow the ride. Event wraps up by 10:00 a.m.
Location: Weston Middle School, 456 Wellesley St. Weston, MA 02493
Online registration is open now!
Fee: $20 registration fee with a commitment of $40
More Info: https://kids.pmc.org/weston
6. Important Dates:
- Monday, March 20: Weston Education Association (WEA) Community Forum with Educators | 7:00-8:30 p.m. | Weston Middle School Amy Potter Center (APC) Auditorium & via Zoom
- Tuesday, March 21: Fractal Fair | 6:30-8:00 p.m. | Weston High School Library
- Thursday, March 23: Joint In-Person BWMPO/PTO Meeting | Epiphany Early Learning Center, 220 Centre Street, Boston | 7:00 p.m.
- Monday, March 27: School Committee Meeting | 7:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, April 5: Early Dismissal | 11:30 a.m.
- Wednesday, April 5: Weston PTO Green Team School Clean-Up | 11:30 a.m. | Meet in front of the school!
- Friday, April 7: No School
- Sunday, April 27: Weston Fishing Derby | 9:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. | Weston High School Pond
- Sunday, May 7: Weston PMC Kids Ride | 8:00 a.m. | Weston Middle School
- Monday, May 8: Annual Town Meeting | Weston High School Auditorium | 7:00 p.m. | Child care information coming soon!
7. Three Ways to Support METCO:
1. Please plan to attend the joint IN-PERSON BWMPO/PTO meeting this Thursday, March 23 at 7:00 p.m. at the Epiphany Early Learning Center in Boston! We urge you to come, support, and engage with guest speakers, Dr. Matthew Henry and Ms. Theresa Dryden, as we discuss their firsthand experience with the METCO program, the Weston METCO program, and how we improve the METCO experience for the Weston community. This invitation is for the entire Weston community. We look forward to seeing you there!
Epiphany Early Learning Center
230 Centre St.
Boston, MA 02124
2. Order METCO Matters merchandise! Please use the link to submit your orders which will be shipped directly to you.
3. Please consider applying for the METCO Community Coordinator position or sharing the opportunity with your network: METCO is looking for a Community Coordinator for the Weston METCO program to support and strengthen relationships between Boston resident and Weston resident students and families. This position reports directly to the METCO Director and is eligible for an $8,000 stipend (over a full school year). We are looking for a diverse pool of applicants who are inspired by our mission to educate, equip, and inspire all students to achieve their full potential and enrich their community. Please click here for the complete job posting.
8. Fractal Fair – Now on Tuesday! Come find out what a fractal is–and so much more! Join the WHS Math Department and Honors Precalculus students on Tuesday, March 21 from 6:30-8:00PM in the High School Library. There will be 28 groups in total presenting their projects on a wide range of topics related to fractals. The fair will be appropriate for all ages, who might be curious about fractals, math, and our world. Please mark your calendars and set aside the night for a time of exploration, learning, and innovation.