I wanted to send out a quick email to you all with some important information regarding the upcoming Winter High School Sports Season. Like the fall season which just completed, each sport that takes place this winter will include practice and game/meet safety modifications. I will share these modifications with all coaches as well as during each winter sports pre-season zoom meeting which will take place the first week of December (information on each zoom meeting will be sent out next week). In the meantime, here is some information that may be helpful to you and your student-athlete:
- DCL Winter Sports – Start Date: Monday, December 14, 2020 – Boys & Girls Basketball, Boys & Girls Ice Hockey, Boys & Girls Alpine & Nordic Skiing and Boys & Girls Swimming/Diving
The following sports have moved to later in the year: Indoor Track (Fall 2 Season beginning on 2/22) & Wrestling (Spring Season beginning on 4/26).
- We will ONLY play against those schools in the DCL Small (Bedford, Wayland, Boston Latin, CRL & Waltham) for all Winter sports. Schools were placed in cohorts and will remain in cohort throughout season.
- We will play against the same school both games during each week in all sports. For Example: Wes vs. Bed @ Weston Tuesday / Wes vs. Bed @ Bedford Friday. Note: Swimming will hold virtual meets once per week and skiing will race once per week against the DCL only. Boys Ice Hockey plays in the Tri-Valley League and that schedule may be slightly different.
- Each coach will have their tryout/practice schedule finalized for the first few days of the season by next week and will share once finalized.
- We will once again have our Covid Coach (an MIAA & league requirement) at all home events to ensure all safety protocols are adhered to by student-athletes, coaches and officials.
- Unfortunately, the league (as well as most all leagues in the state) has voted to not allow any spectators in attendance at home indoor events. While I understand this is very disappointing, the safety of our student-athletes is our top priority. The DCL plans to re-evaluate this policy as the season progresses. Each school within the league is working to provide live streaming for all indoor events.
I will be sending out another email early next week with additional information on the 2020/21 Winter Sports Season including sport specific zoom meeting times.
I would like to wish every family in Wildcat Nation a Happy Thanksgiving. Go Cats!
Michael McGrath, CAA
Director of Athletics
Weston Public Schools
Follow us on Twitter: @WestonAthletic