Hello Weston Families,
I hope this email find you and your family well. Like the Fall Sports Season, there are a number of items that I would like to address within this email as we approach the 20/21 Winter Sports Season. As you may know by now, the 2020/21 Winter Sports Season will begin on Monday, December 14th. I wanted to send out this email to once again reiterate many of the new policies and procedures that are in place this season to help ensure safety for our student-athletes, coaches and officials. Below is some important information that will be helpful to our student-athletes and families. Pre-Season zoom meeting links, coaches contact information and the first few days of tryouts are listed below. I would encourage all student-athletes and families to log on to the zoom meetings for specific team information prior to the season. Game schedules will be posted later this week on our website. Go Cats!
*** I understand there is a lot of information within this email, but with the ever-changing guidelines I want to make sure you are fully aware of the protocols put forth by the State, MIAA, DCL and WPS to ensure the safety of your student-athlete.
- Start Date 12/14
- 2020/21 Winter Sports Offered: Boys & Girls Basketball, Boys & Girls Hockey, Boys & Girls Nordic Skiing, Boys & Girls Swim/Dive (virtual) and Boys & Girls Alpine Skiing – Please Note: Boys & Girls Indoor Track has moved to the Fall 2 Season (2/22-4/25) and Wrestling has moved to the Spring Season (4/26-7/3).
- Winter Sport Modifications: MIAA COVID-19 Task Force
- Unfortunately, there will be NO spectators allowed for any indoor events (swim/dive, ice hockey & basketball). Alpine & Nordic Skiing being outside may allow limited spectators, but it will be dependent on the course/mountain. Once we receive this information we will pass it along. Weston Athletics (and our entire league) does plan to Live Stream all indoor events at all levels for parents and families members to view.
- Bus Information: Weston Athletics will provide transportation to all away games throughout the Winter Season. There will be a daily METCO bus that will pick up in Boston at between 3:15-3:30pm (location TBD) and a daily late METCO bus that will depart from the high school at 7:15pm.
- PLEASE REMEMBER: Absolutely NO student-athlete can be participating in tryouts/practices until they have registered on FamilyID (www.familyid.com) and have a physical on file with the school nurse.
- MASK MUST BE WORN by all student-athletes and coaches at every practice/game or meet. All student-athletes should write their initials on the inside of their mask. No mask sharing. All should also have a back-up mask.
- I suggest that each student-athlete bring their own gym bag to all practices/games & meets. All personal items should be stored within their bag and be placed 6ft. apart from other bags.
- No water jugs will be issued this Winter Season. All student-athletes are required to bring their own water bottles.
- We encourage student-athletes to bring their own hand sanitizer and wash their gear and uniforms after games/practices. No shared equipment when at all possible. We will also have wipes and hand sanitizer available.
Home & Away Games/Practice Protocols:
- Once again, we will ONLY play against those schools in the DCL Small (Bedford, Wayland, Boston Latin, CRL & Waltham) for all Winter Sports (Swimming due to having virtual meets may pick up other schools). Schools were placed in cohorts and will remain in cohort throughout season. We will play against the same school both games during each week in all sports. For Example: Wes vs. Bed @ Weston Tuesday / Wes vs. Bed @ Bedford Friday. Note: Swimming will hold virtual meets once per week and skiing will also race once per week. Boys Ice Hockey plays in the Tri-Valley League and they too will play in specific cohorts.
- Varsity Basketball & Hockey will play 2x’s per week against the same schools.
- All JV and Freshman Basketball teams will play once per week (Friday’s) with an “intra-squad” game with officials mid-week and Wednesday’s off from practices (after the first week).
- Alpine & Nordic Skiing practice times and race days may vary. More specific information will become available in the next few weeks.
- Swim practice days and times will be determined by Coach McLaughlin per pool availability.
- No locker room access at any time.
- No loitering before or after practices and games/meets.
- All coaches and student-athletes as well as officials will be wearing mask through game play and during practices. No Mask- NO Play!
Note: It is extremely important that we follow and implement all the Covid policies and protocols. Please be vigilant as the safety of our student-athletes and coaches is our top priority. We will once again have our league required “Covid Coach” (Mrs. Lanata) who will be responsible for student-athletes, coaches and officials following the Covid protocols laid out by the State, MIAA and Weston Public Schools.
- There will be no handshakes after games or meets.
- For away games and/or practices (Alpine & Nordic) we will follow the bus Covid policies. Windows will be open. Student-athletes should dress accordingly.
Team Tryout Schedules/Zoom Meeting Links:
12/14, 12/15 & 12/16 4:00pm-5:30pm – High School Gym (Players will be grouped per State indoor guidelines)
12/14, 12/15 & 12/16 5:30pm-7:00pm – High School Gym (Players will be grouped per State indoor guidelines)
12/14 @ Rivers 6pm, 12/15 @ Rivers 7pm & 12/16 @ Rivers 6pm (Players will follow rink guidelines)
12/14 @ Rivers 7pm, 12/15 @ Natick 8:40pm & 12/16 @ Rivers 7pm (Players will follow rink guidelines)
TBD based on snow – Coach McCaughey will inform during pre-season zoom meeting.
TBD based on snow – Coach Freedman will inform during pre-season zoom meeting.
12/14, 12/15 & 12/16 – 3:30pm WMS Pool (Players will be grouped per State indoor guidelines)
Please let me know if you have any questions.
Michael McGrath, CAA
Director of Athletics
Weston Public Schools
Follow us on Twitter: @WestonAthletic