Hello Weston Families,
Just a quick email prior to the start of the 20/21 Winter Sports Season that will begin on Monday, December 14th. It was great seeing many of you this past week on the pre-season zoom meetings. If you did not get an opportunity to jump onto the meeting of the sport that your son/daughter will be playing, I have added the coach contacts below should you have any questions. Additionally, please be sure to register on FamilyID (www.familyid.com) and have an up to date physical on file with our school nurse before Monday. Lastly, should you have any Covid related questions regarding this winter season please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly. We will diligently be following the Covid policies and protocols laid out by the State during our practices/games and meets to do our best to ensure the safety of our student-athletes, coaches and athletic staff.
Below is some information that was on my last email that should be helpful to our student-athletes and families:
- Start Date 12/14
- 2020/21 Winter Sports Offered: Boys & Girls Basketball, Boys & Girls Hockey, Boys & Girls Nordic Skiing, Boys & Girls Swim/Dive (virtual) and Boys & Girls Alpine Skiing – Please Note: Boys & Girls Indoor Track has moved to the Fall 2 Season (2/22-4/25) and Wrestling has moved to the Spring Season (4/26-7/3).
- Winter Sport Modifications: MIAA COVID-19 Task Force
- Unfortunately, there will be NO spectators allowed for any indoor events (swim/dive, ice hockey & basketball). Alpine & Nordic Skiing being outside may allow limited spectators, but it will be dependent on the course/mountain. Once we receive this information we will pass it along. Weston Athletics (and our entire league) does plan to Live Stream all indoor events at all levels for parents and families members to view.
- Bus Information: Weston Athletics will provide transportation to all away games throughout the Winter Season. We will have one mid-after Boston bus that will bring students back to Weston with 2 pick-up locations – 3:20pm at Ashmont (corner of Dorchester Ave./Ashmont) & 3:35pm at Forest Hills (corner of Arborway/Washington) and two late Boston buses – one at 5:45pm and the other at 7:15pm. Please Note: Beginning in January there will be only one 5:45pm Friday Boston bus. All Boston buses will run beginning on Monday.
- PLEASE REMEMBER: Absolutely NO student-athlete can be participating in tryouts/practices until they have registered on FamilyID (www.familyid.com) and have a physical on file with the school nurse.
- MASK MUST BE WORN by all student-athletes and coaches at every practice/game or meet. All student-athletes should write their initials on the inside of their mask. No mask sharing. All should also have a back-up mask.
- I suggest that each student-athlete bring their own gym bag to all practices/games & meets. All personal items should be stored within their bag and be placed 6ft. apart from other bags.
- No water jugs will be issued this Winter Season. All student-athletes are required to bring their own water bottles.
- We encourage student-athletes to bring their own hand sanitizer and wash their gear and uniforms after games/practices. No shared equipment when at all possible. We will also have wipes and hand sanitizer available.
Team Tryout Schedules:
Girls Basketball – Coach Louis (firstname.lastname@example.org)
12/14, 12/15 & 12/16 4:00pm-5:30pm – High School Gym (Players will be grouped per State indoor guidelines)
Boys Basketball – Coach First (email@example.com)
12/14, 12/15 & 12/16 5:30pm-7:00pm – High School Gym (Players will be grouped per State indoor guidelines)
Girls Hockey – Coach van Ogtrop (firstname.lastname@example.org)
12/14 @ Rivers 7pm, 12/15 @ Rivers 7pm & 12/18 @ Rivers 6pm (Players will follow rink guidelines)
Boys Hockey – Coach Marlow (email@example.com)
12/14 @ Rivers 6pm, 12/15 @ Natick 8:40pm & 12/17 @ Rivers 7pm (Players will follow rink guidelines)
Alpine Skiing – Coach McCaughey (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Nordic Skiing – Coach Freedman (email@example.com)
Swim/Dive – Coach McLaughlin (firstname.lastname@example.org)
12/14, 12/15 & 12/16 – 3:30pm WMS Pool (Swimmers/Divers will be grouped per State indoor pool guidelines)
Please let me know if you have any questions.
Michael McGrath, CAA
Director of Athletics
Weston Public Schools
Follow us on Twitter: @WestonAthletic