There are many alternative work and educational experiences to consider beyond high school for students not interested in heading to traditional college right after high school. Consider the following options for vocational school, post-graduate studies, internship programs and work experience. All provide valuable experience and learning opportunities that make sense for you.
Alternative Post Graduate Plans — If you feel like college may not be for you, you are not alone. Many students struggle with deciding whether or not college is the right path for them. Fortunately, there are various options for students considering something other than college. Below is a brief description of a few of these options. Please schedule an appointment with your guidance counselor if you would like additional help in searching for the right path for you.
Post-Graduate (PG) Year — A post-graduate year is typically an additional year of academic study in a boarding school style of learning. The PG year is usually offered by independent private schools throughout the country and stresses the ideal of the student’s achieving their greatest potential. For those interested, the Guidance department has a list of private schools in the New England area that offer a PG year. Below are some resources to help get you started on your search.
- Boarding School Review www.boardingschoolreview.com
- Private School Review www.privateschoolreview.com
Gap Year — The gap year is increasing in popularity around the country. Students who take a gap year typically take the year off between high school and college to do something educational and meaningful. The programs vary from opportunities for learning & internships to volunteering & travel. Below are some helpful websites to facilitate your search.
- Center for Interim Programs www.interimprograms.com
- Outward Bound www.outwardbound.org
- National Outdoor Leadership School www.nols.edu
- Volunteer Scientific Field Research www.earthwatch.org
- AFS Intercultural Programs www.afs.org
- Corporation for National and Community Service www.cns.gov
- City Year www.cityyear.org
- Peace Corps www.peacecorps.gov
- Programs & opportunities for study, internships, work & trave www.whereyouheaded.com
- Internships Programs with Dynamy www.dynamy.org