updated info 2/5/2018:
Due to student requests, the trip to South Africa has been MOVED TO JUNE ACADEMY.
New Trip dates are now June 3rd -15th, 2018. The adjusted cost is $5490 due to changes in Airfare to and within South
Africa. The trips itinerary and information can be found here: https://walkingtree.org/product/weston-south-africa-program/
Applications and deposits are due to Mr. Moon or Mrs. Kresl-Moffat
by Wednesday February 12. This is a HARD DEADLINE. If we do not have
applications and deposits, the trip WILL NOT RUN.
Dear Students and Parents,
Weston High School is happy to begin accepting applications for a summer travel opportunity to South Africa. With the support of Thulani Madondo, founder of the Kliptown Youth Program and Walking Tree Travel Company, this unique learning opportunity has been handcrafted for Weston High School students. As you discuss your interest with your families please consider the following:
- Three to five day-long visits to the Kliptown Youth Program (KYP) in the Township of Soweto.
- An overnight Safari Pilanesberg National Park to learn about efforts of wildlife conservation; a growing need resulting from industrial development in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Tour of major historic sites in Johannesburg and Cape Town, including the Apartheid Museum
- Exploring Eco-Diversity in Kleinbaai with snorkeling in the Indian Ocean and hiking along the Cape of Good Hope
- Interact with indigenous animals at Gauteng Lion Park
International Travel advisory issued by the State Department: The following is a statement regarding the International Travel Advisory from Principal Anthony Parker:
… recent events have given people everywhere pause and made us more cognizant of the risks that traveling abroad might entail. The U.S. State Department has issued a general travel alert due to increased terrorist attacks and potential attacks on American citizens. We would be remiss if we did not share this alert with you. We currently have a number of trips scheduled to countries in Europe, South America, and Africa … While Weston Public Schools is confident that the travel arrangements we make with travel companies and host partners provide for safe travel and lodging, we wanted all parents to be aware of this current travel alert. Please know that the alert does not specifically target any country students will be traveling to and that as a regular practice all persons participating in a Weston Public Schools program abroad will be registered with the Department of Homeland Security.
Please visit the State Department travel website (www.travel.state.gov) for the complete warning.
Pre-travel and post travel requirements:
- Attend a series of 5 hours of preparatory seminars and complete required reading (one choice book and additional articles)
- Contribute a minimum of 6 hours to group fundraising efforts
- Complete a post-travel reflective project and present this project to an audience of choice
Cost: You will have ample fundraising opportunities and may be eligible for scholarships, but ultimately you and your families are responsible for the cost of this trip ($5140)
To be considered for this travel opportunity, please fill out the attached application by January 4th and return it to Mrs. Kresl Moffat or Mr. Moon. We anticipate that interest in the program may exceed capacity, and so we encourage you to express your interest through thoughtful responses to the application questions. Attendees and alternates will be notified by January 11th. If you are interested in being part of this exciting adventure and have questions, please do not hesitate to contact Janet Kresl-Moffat or Henry Moon for more information.
We look forward to reviewing your application!
Janet Kresl Moffat Henry Moon