Dear Woodland School families,
Welcome to Week 5! Hope everyone had a wonderful Back to School Night last week. It was great seeing so many faces back in the building again. Please read all of the helpful notes and dates below – we have lots of exciting things happening in the month of October!
The WEEFC Fall Fundraiser Auction is now open for bidding:
WEEFC’s upcoming fall fundraiser on Saturday, October 1st! The silent auction is now open for mobile bidding, and we wanted to draw your attention to several fun opportunities geared towards Woodland students:
You can participate in the silent auction even if you’re not attending the event by visiting the event website and clicking “sign-in” in the upper right-hand corner to register. If you’d like to be assigned a proxy bidder for live items, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested in bidding on a package as a group? Choose one person to do the bidding for either a silent or live item. Once you’ve been declared the winner, WEEFC can divide the cost amongst your group. All proceeds from the event will go towards funding innovative enrichment programming that enhances the curriculum at all five Weston Public Schools. Thank you for your continued generosity!
Safety Forum on Alice Drills: Families from all WPS schools are invited to a safety forum tonight, September 27th at 7pm to learn more about ALICE active shooter drills, which will be run in each Weston school during the year. ALICE stands for Alert, Lockdown, Inform, Counter and Evacuate. The forum will be facilitated by Erin Maguire, Principal of Country School; Phil Oates, Assistant Principal of Weston Middle School; and Drew Gribbons, School Resource Officer, Weston Police. September 27th at 7 pm in the APC at Weston Middle School. Zoom link: https://westonorg.zoom.us/j/82674607259
Please refer to the email sent by the Weston Public School Safety Team on Friday, September 23rd for additional information.
Woodland School Fall Picnic: Pack up your family and a picnic and join us on the Woodland School field (near the playground) on Thursday, October 13th from 4:30-6:30pm. This is a family event so kids and grownups are all welcome. It’s a great opportunity to mingle with other Woodland families while your children play together outside of school hours. Hope to see you there!
Woodland School Council Opening: Woodland School has 1 open seat for a 2 year term open for School Council and we need your help! This is an important and exciting opportunity for parents to get involved! Every public school in the state is required by law to have a School Council made up of various representatives, including elected parents to assist in adopting educational goals for the school that are consistent with local educational policies and statewide student performance standards, identifying the educational needs of students attending the school, reviewing the annual school building budget, and formulating a school improvement plan. The school council meets several times during the school year as a group to discuss these topics.
If interested in running for School Council, please send a candidate statement to Meghan Covington –email@example.com by October 4. In your candidate statement please include information such as:
- Your name
- Where your children are in school
- Other volunteer commitments
- Other work experience
- Other community involvements
- Why you are interested in School Council and what contribution you can make
School Council Elections will run from October 11th to October 14th.
BWMPO/PTO “Meet Me Halfway” Parents’ Night Out: Given last year’s success with Parent Night Out, the BWMPO and PTO are excited to partner once again and host the “Meet Me Halfway” Parents’ Night Out. This event will take place at Trillium in Canton on Saturday, October 15th from 6:00-8:00pm. While not in Boston this time around, Canton is a great halfway destination to further connect as parents. Tickets are $20 per person to cover food costs, but beverages should be purchased independently. Please RSVP here by Wednesday, October 12th.
Trunk of Treat! After three years, we are thrilled to welcome back the Weston Elementary Trunk or Treat! This year’s Trunk or Treat will take place on Friday, October 28 from 4:30-6:00pm in the Field School Parking Lot. This event is open to K-5 students from all three elementary schools and their families. Parents, please note that this is not a drop-off event and that all children need to be accompanied by an adult. It is our goal to make this event safe, inclusive, and fun for all of our families. More information and a signup to decorate a trunk will be coming soon!
District Curriculum Forums: Forums are being offered throughout the district to educate families and guardians on Weston Public School elementary curriculum. Please note that at each location, district-wide curriculum will be discussed regardless of which school your student attends. You do not need to sign up ahead of time to attend the curriculum forums.
- Thursdays, 8:30-9:30am, location in parentheses
- October 13th – Math (WOODLAND)
- October 27th – Science/Social Studies (FIELD)
- November 10th – Intervention/Title I (COUNTRY)
- December 1st – Reading, Fundations & Heggerty (WOODLAND)
- December 8th – Tech and Libraries (FIELD, Innovation lab)
- December 15th – Writing (COUNTRY)
Responsive Home: Amy Kelly, Director of Equity and Professional Learning, will be leading a workshop called the Responsive Home. You will learn more about the philosophy behind Responsive Classrooms and learn useful tips for creating a “Responsive Home” including – positive language, family meeting, house rules, logical consequences, and interactive modeling. Please click here to sign up:
- Friday, 9/30/2022, 9:00am-10:30am
- Thursday, 10/13/2022, 6:00pm-7:30pm
- Wednesday, 11/2/2022, 9:00am-10:30am
- Have a great week!
Meghan Covington & Emily Malenfant
Woodland School PTO Co-Chairs
- Tuesday, September 27: Safety Forum on Alice Drills | 7pm | Weston Middle School/Zoom
- Friday, September 30: WCCA’s First Non-Profit Summit | 4-6pm | Weston Community Center
- Saturday, October 1: WEEFC Fall Fundraiser | 6:30-10:30pm | Field School Field
- Wednesday, October 5: No school (Yom Kippur)
- Monday, October 10: No school (Columbus Day/Indigenous Peoples’ Day)
- Wednesday, October 12: Early Dismissal | 11:30am
- Thursday, October 13: Woodland School Fall Picnic | 4:30-6:30pm | Woodland School
- Saturday, October 15: BWMPO/PTO Parents Night Out | 6-8pm | Trillium, Canton
- Wednesday, October 19: Woodland Parents Night Out | 6-9pm | Lookout Farm, Natick
- Friday, October 28: Trunk or Treat | 4:30-6pm | Field School Parking Lot